In order to have a website, you’ll most likely need a domain name and a web host. There are a lot of great providers out there that will offer both web hosting and the domain name. However, you may not be aware of local web hosting providers in your area. Do a quick search online and see if any exist in your area. Having a local web host can be very beneficial. Read more here.
Local Web Hosting
Usually when a domain is purchased, website hosting is also offered and it’s really convenient to purchase it then too. But if you’re willing to work locally, your web host can set everything up for you.
Benefits of Local Website Hosting
- Relationship – Knowing someone locally will help establish a more ‘real’ business relationship.
- Face-to-Face – You can always meet in person.
- Customer Service – if you need help, you can pick up the phone and be able to talk with someone instead of an automated machine.
- Will usually handle all of your web admin and technology issues, saving you valuable time.
Disadvantage of Using a Local Website Provider
- Availability – You may not be able to contact your web host around the clock. Be sure to check with your local website host.
- Cost – sometimes local web hosting can be a little bit more expensive. Sometimes people look at this as a disadvantage. However, I don’t believe paying a couple extra dollars is a true disadvantage. With local hosting, I think you get a little bit more personalized service. And you are always able to call and speak with someone you trust. These days, there should be more value placed on customer service, and one of the best ways to get this is to buy local.
Web Hosting Recap
Again, even though the cost may be slightly higher that what you currently pay, working with a local web host has it’s benefits. Although paying for the storage and bandwidth can be done anywhere, using a local web host will allow you to get more personal and friendly service.
Have you used a local web host before? How has it compared?